\n'; html += '\n\n'; var printReadyElem = document.getElementById(recipeToPrint); if (printReadyElem != null) { html += printReadyElem.innerHTML; } else { alert("Could not find the printReady function"); return; } html += '\n\n'; var printWin = window.open("","printSpecial"); printWin.document.open(); printWin.document.write(html); printWin.document.close(); if (gAutoPrint) printWin.print(); } else { alert("The print ready feature is only available if you are using an browser. Please update your browswer."); } }

Saturday, July 01, 2006

Yum! Did Someone Step in Something? WHB

Usually, when someone says that, it’s a bad thing. But not anymore! Read on!



My Aunt is a botanist, queen of the flora, knowlegable in floristics and morphology, a phytologist, maybe not so much a pomoligist as a florist.

In other words, a flower lady extraordinaire.

She knows her flowers. What they’re called. Where they come from. And most importantly, how they can be used to best effect at weddings, parties, and to help forgetful husbands avoid the dog house.

I don’t pretend to have any insight into flowers at all. Other than the fact that I do find some very pleasant to look at, and some cause my allergies to go berserk. And some I like to eat. And there are some blogs, one of which I link to on this blog, where the most amazing photos, often of flowers, appear.

But that, until yesterday, was the extent of my flower awareness.

I rarely connect flowers with food, other than, as mentioned, the occasional flower added to the food. Squash blossoms, maybe. Things like that.

But my aunt opened a whole new potential world of dining and flower interaction to me, and pretty much by accident.

Two quick background notes. First, I love thyme. I think that’s pretty clear from all the recipes on this site featuring thyme. And second, the expansion of my flower awareness by my aunt was completely incidental. She was actually doing a favor for my sister.

My sister has recently redone her backyard, removing some old decking in favor of some nice stones. The large, flat type of stones intended to be walked on. But there is a space between each stone. Which my sister wants to fill in with something living – moss maybe, or some sort of low grass.

So my aunt found something new in the plant world. Called Stepables™. Which are plants specifically intended to be walked on, because they are growing, for example between stones of a patio.

I am not interested to use this Blog to pimp for commercial products, but what caught my attention was that one of these low growing plants was in the thyme family. A pink flowering thyme variety. So every time you walk on it, and you are supposed to walk on it every day, the whole area fills up with a thyme scent. Now there’s an idea a Foodie can get behind!



Say it’s a warm July evening. Sultry. You’re entertaining, and you head out to the back patio where dinner will be served. You’re enjoying the nice stone patio with the pretty pink flowers. A thyme-based meal arrives. And for some reason, the essence of thyme seems to fill the air. Every bite is infused with a wonderful scent that enhances your every bite. You seem to be virtually swimming in thyme.

What if there were rosemary Stepables, or mint ones, or sage ones! What if there was a whole array of possible scents, and all you had to do was pick the right spot in the back yard for the dinner that evening. The flavor of the food enhanced by the perfumed air all around you.

Hey, we can all dream!



Well, something a little different this week for , sponsored by .

I am supposed to pass on several different Stepables to my sister, including the thyme scented one. Somehow, I have a feeling the thyme Stepable may get lost in the transfer!


Tags : : : : : :

3 Comments:

Blogger Dick Margulis said...

Clever marketing of an old idea. Look for Corsican mint (not a culinary mint, strictly for walking on, very intense, almost pennyroyal-like aroma).

There are many creeping thymes with a wide variety of aroma notes (coconut, lemon, orange, ... the list goes on) that can be used in this manner.

3:59 AM  
Blogger Kalyn said...

I've seen these at the garden center many times and coveted them. I'd like to take out whole sections of my lawn and put this stuff instead. My only problem with the idea is lack of $$$.

9:40 AM  
Anonymous sher said...

I have a small section of my yard planted with creeping thyme in between pavers. It's so nice to walk on it and get a little bit of aroma wafting up. Much better than grass.

6:26 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home