Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Life, it always seems to pass me by

Then I begin a dream and I feel fine ...



It goes by pretty fast sometimes. Everyone seems busy doing their thing. Whatever that may be. And everyone’s thing is pretty important. So it seems. So I support everyone as best I can. That usually means cash and driving.

And you can get that feeling that it can pass you by. Just like that. Like a fast moving river. With everyone tearing along through the rapids. And you caught on something, stuck fast.

What did Ferris say? “Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.”

The last few weeks, life seems to be moving pretty fast for everyone. Naturally that means it seems to be moving pretty slow for me.

But that’s how it goes when you set you’re sights on a long range dream. It’s hard sometimes to keep it in focus. It can sort of seem to fade, in importance, and in urgency.

And since no one else really gives a hoot, I mean it’s not their dream, there’s not much in the way of external motivation. In fact, there’s probably a more external de-motivation (“Isn’t he over that yet? Must be a mid-life something or other! Could be worse…”).

So I have to dream sometimes. To recapture the energy and urgency. That probably looks a lot like doing nothing. Sleeping with my eyes open. And maybe it is to some extent. But you gotta recapture that energy to persevere. To live the dream.

So I have my dreams. Hope they’re not tooooo long term. I guess we’ll see.



Today while I was dreaming, I dreamed of doing something with the figs we got on Saturday. I love fig season. If ever there was a fruit to spend time dreaming over….

And I dreamed of some figs, some thyme, and some balsamic vinegar. Wrapped in (of course) chicken breasts, pounded thin, like a rollatini. Roasted in the oven (again with the no charcoal situation). With some goat cheese to hold it together into a filling.

Believe me, in my dreams, the pictures were better! But I did like the little thyme flowers. And figs are always beautiful to look at – so intricate, with wonderful color.

And the taste of the dish was nice. The sweet figs meshed with the thyme and balsamic. The goat cheese gave everything a creamy background tang that contrasted with the figgy sweetness.



Chicken stuffed with Figs and Goat Cheese in Balsamic
Recipe by surfinedaave
Serves 4

Ingredients:
6 chicken breasts, skinless, boneless, pounded thin between plastic wrap
10 small fresh figs, cut into pieces
6 ounces goat cheese
2 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
2 cloves garlic, minced very fine
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp olive oil
salt, pepper
additional balsamic vinegar to sprinkle on top of chicken
additional olive oil to sprinkle on top of chicken
additional fresh thyme leaves for garnish, if desired

Pre-heat oven to 400ºF.

In a bowl, gently mix together the figs, goat cheese, thyme leaves, garlic, balsamic, olive oil, salt and pepper to taste.

Lay each chicken breast out flat. Place1/6 of filling in middle. Roll the breasts up loosely, encasing the filling. Secure with toothpicks. Brush the rolled breasts with olive oil, and sprinkle with balsamic vinegar.

Roast chicken in oven for 20 to 25 minutes. Finish under broiler for a few minutes to brown the tops. Remove from oven. Let rest for 5 minutes. Sprinkle with balsamic. Garnish with additional thyme leaves, if desired.

You can serve these whole, or slice them, and serve them over polenta, rice, mashed potatoes, etc. Enjoy!


Tags : : : : :

4 Comments:

Blogger Haalo said...

That looks so delicious - a wonderful dream turned into an even better reality!

12:53 AM  
Blogger ilva said...

Holy cow (I don't dare use stronger language as you might be offended!)!!! Really good pics AND a wow recipe!! Bravissimo!

2:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can someone tell me from what song does "Life, it always seems to pass me by
Then I begin a dream and I feel fine" belong? Thanks.

1:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The song is: Kenny Hayes - Daybreaker

6:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home