Friday, April 21, 2006

Sugar High Friday 17 - Booze

Ohmygawwd! I was trying to post for the Sugar High Friday 17 - Booze, hosted by Chandra at . But I, I, I started eating my entry as I was posting.


Have to stop now. More later.

It's just too good.


By the way, it's Bananas Foster on Baily's Irish Cream Mousse with Whipped Cream.

Rum, Banana Liquor, Whiskey. Whew. Carmalized bananas, coffee mousse, whipped cream, rum, whiskey, all in one bite after bite after bite ...

Details coming! I promise! First, need more ..... Ohhhhh..................................


Tags : : : : : : :

Ok, I'm back. It's all gone now (the dessert, I mean, not the sugar rush). Everyone is mad at me (for all the calories) despite the fact that they ate most of it. So I know it was good. And the sugar high is lasting quite a while.

But as promised, a few comments about the dish, plus the recipes:

I was enjoying some coffee made with nicely ground coffee beans from my new grinder (the new grinder works pretty good!), and I got the inspiration.

Since it was breakfast time, or maybe more like brunch time (definitely no later than lunch time), and I was sitting next to the bananas, I got the urge to make something that I remember from my childhood – not that I ever ate it then – but still a part of some memories.

I still pronounce it as one word – 'Nawlins' (New Orleans for you Yankees). Everything all drawled together. And I can still remember all the teachers calling me ‘honey child’, as in “what you think you doin’ there, honey child?”, followed by a rap to the knuckles with a ruler. Although I never went to Brennan’s, or Commander’s Palace, or Tchoupitoula’s restaurant (which apparently no longer exists) – note that K-Paul’s and Emeril’s didn’t exist back then- I do remember Pirate’s Alley, and Jackson Square, and the above ground graves in the cemeteries (being below sea level, you can’t really dig a hole there). I got to know Bourbon Street some years later.

A lot is washed away, but not the memories, and I am pretty sure that something equally substantial will take it’s place as New Orleans tries to rebuild after Katrina.

was really an institution there when we lived in the area. It has been in operation since 1946, originally on Bourbon Street, and since 1954 on Royal Street, its current home. Brennan’s for Breakfast was something that could not be missed – celebrities, politicians, everyone seemed to want to be seen there.

And one of the most famous dishes at Brennan’s was Bananas Foster – a carmalized banana affair with a dramatic flamed rum finish. Named after a good friend of the original founder of Brennan’s, it is responsible for the serving of over 35,000 pounds of bananas at the restaurant a year.

The bananas are usually served on a scoop of vanilla ice cream. But I wanted to work some whiskey into the picture as well. So I made a mousse based on Bailey’s Irish Cream, which contains some Irish whiskey. With a dab of whipped cream on top.

And by the speed at which it disappeared – it was a good combination!


Bananas Foster by

Ingredients:
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup banana liqueur
4 bananas, cut in half lengthwise, then halved
1/4 cup dark rum
4 portions Irish cream mousse (recipe follows)
Whipped cream for garnish (optional)

Combine the butter, sugar, and cinnamon in a flambé pan or skillet.
Place the pan over low heat either on an alcohol burner or on top of the stove, and cook, stirring, until the sugar dissolves.
Stir in the banana liqueur, then place the bananas in the pan.
While the bananas cook, unmold the mousses onto 4 dessert plates.
When the banana sections soften and begin to brown, carefully add the rum.
Continue to cook the sauce until the rum is hot, then tip the pan slightly to ignite the rum.

When the flames subside, lift the bananas out of the pan and place four pieces around and over each portion of mousse.
Generously spoon warm sauce over the top of the mousse, top with whipped cream if desired and serve immediately. Enjoy!





1 C Irish cream liqueur
1 envelope unflavored gelatin
1/4 C cold water
3 large eggs, separated & at room temperature
2-3 tbsp sugar
1 C whipping cream

4 decorative molds or round bowls

Lightly oil mold. Stir gelatin into 1/4 C cold water; set aside to soften, 5 minutes.

Whisk egg yolks in top of double boiler off heat until well blended. Whisk in 1 C Irish cream liqueur. Place over simmering water & cook, stirring constantly with wooden spoon until mixture feels hot to the touch & is thick enough to leave a path on back of wooden spoon when you run your finger along it, 8 to 10 minutes. (Similar to how you tell if custard is done) Do not boil. Remove from heat & immediately add softened gelatin, stirring until dissolved. Transfer mixture to medium size bowl & place in larger bowl of ice water. Stir occasionally until mixture begins to set. Remove from ice water.

Meanwhile, beat egg whites in large mixing bowl w/electric mixer on low speed until foamy. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 T. at a time, until stiff but moist peaks form. Gently spoon whites over top of liqueur mixture; do not mix. Beat 1 C of the whipping cream in same mixing bowl with electric mixer on low speed until thickened. Beat on medium speed until soft peaks form; do not beat stiff. Fold whites & liqueur mixture into whipped cream until blended. Pour into mold. Cover with plastic wrap & refrigerate until set.

6 Comments:

Blogger Haalo said...

I'm amazed at your strength in actually getting a photo up - that just looks so delcious, must... find.... bananas!

10:01 PM  
Blogger surfindaave said...

I've recovered a bit now. It was soooo good, and rich! I know it was good cause everyone kept eating more and more of it while they complained about the calories (apparently it's almost summer)!

11:41 PM  
Blogger MM said...

I adore bananas fosters since I first had it at a restaurant when I was 8. I love Baileys in that combo!

10:09 PM  
Blogger surfindaave said...

Stephanie, Thanks! The combo did work well, maybe too well!

8:29 AM  
Blogger Christine said...

Wow! Now I know what to do with all my bananas.

3:49 PM  
Blogger Barbara (Biscuit Girl) said...

Oh yeah.....now that's decadent. Your pictures are wonderful.

5:53 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home