Saturday, April 29, 2006

Some Flavors I Love

Pears and Gorgonzola. Two flavors I really love together.

Today, I wanted to combine them with sage. Another flavor I really love. And happen to have a lot of.


I didn’t have a lot of time again today, because today the Los Angeles Lakers were playing. Professional Basketball (40 games in 40 nights - whew!). Against the Phoenix Suns (who I also like a lot – Steve Nash is absolutely the MVP!).

Today, unlike yesterday, everything was good. No background anxiety. No premonition of imminent bad. And the Lakers won. They should just call me to find out the sports scores before game time. It’s in my bones somehow!

Anyways, the dish just sort of popped into my mind. Something simple. Roasted pears to bring out the flavor. Roasted sage, just because I like how it looks. And Gorgonzola melted on an old shoe would taste good to me.

I wanted to bring the flavors together at the end, and provide a little acidity and moisture (in case I had overcooked the chicken, which I didn’t, but you never know when B-Ball is on TV), so I made a quick pan reduction sauce with some Medoc wine and the sage and the pear juice.

Quick, easy. Wonderful.


Chicken Breast with Roasted Pear and Gorgonzola in Sage Pan Sauce

Ingredients:
Chicken Breasts – one per person
½ pear per chicken breast, peeled and sliced into thick slices, core removed
1 thick slice Gorgonzola cheese per chicken breast
5 to 10 sage leaves per chicken breast
¼ cup of wine per chicken breast (I used red – mèdoc of course)
olive oil
salt, pepper

Pre-heat oven to 300ºF.

Heat sauté pan until hot, add olive oil. Sauté chicken breasts until brown on both sides. Remove to heat proof plate and place in oven to finish cooking for 10 to 15 minutes.

While the chicken is cooking, sauté pears and sage in a second sauté pan in olive oil over medium heat, until pears are browned on both sides. Remove pears to a plate and reserve. Add wine to pan and reduce until slightly thickened.

Place chicken breast on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Top with slices of roasted pear, and one slice of Gorgonzola cheese. Place under broiler just until cheese softens and begins to melt. Remove from oven.

Place finished chicken breasts on a warm serving plate, and spoon sauce over top. Serve. Enjoy!

Tags : : : : : : : :

3 Comments:

Blogger Haalo said...

Yum, pear and gorgonzola is such a classic combination and adding sage sounds divine, it's one of the best herbs. Delish!

5:40 AM  
Blogger Kalyn said...

This sounds wonderful. I recently tried fried sage for the first time and was absolutely captivated by the flavor.

7:13 AM  
Blogger surfindaave said...

Haalo, Kalyn, thanks for the comments! Somehow, the roasted pears, sage and gongonzola worked really well together. The various flavors melted together to turn that piece of chicken onto something special!

I've made fried sage a few times before, mostly as a sort of garnish, but it worked well as a flavor in the pan sauce as well.

12:07 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home